Bank Officer 90 Years Young - 1932

Chester Times - March 10, 1932 

Bank Officer 90 Years Young

Chas R. Sweeny Receives Gifts of Flowers From Fellow Employees

Ninety years ago today, a baby son was born to Mr. and Mrs. William Sweeny, of Darby. 

left- Charles Sweeny, Sr. 
Today, the entire personnel of the Delaware County Trust Company recalled the event by presenting the "baby" with three baskets of flowers in honor of his birthday. 

The "baby," Charles R. Sweeny, known to thousands of bank depositors and residents of this city, is ninety years young. Yes, he's even thinking about planning for some sort of celebration ten years hence, when he will reach the century mark. 

"Charlie" Sweeny, the affable special officer of the banking institution, is also rounding out his forty-fourth year of service with the bank, but retirement is never given a thought as he says, "I feel good today as I did the day I got the job." 

Possessing keen mental faculties and seemingly as alert as a man 50 years younger, Mr Sweeny was kept busy this morning shaking the hands of his numerous friends and a broad smile crept over his face as he would glance at the flowers, which he is going to take home to his wife, who is five years his junior. 

The old veteran became reminiscent hen interviewed by a times reporter. He recalled the day when his family moved to Chester in 1847, Market street at that time was little more than a fairly hardened cow path. 

He first went to work for James Campbell who conducted a cotton mill on the site of the present police station. His home then was on the lot occupied by the law offices of .edward and Hinkson in the rear of the old Chester Times building. 

He worked for the father of his present boss, Colonel James A. G. Campbell until he was seventeen. Shortly after the outbreak of the Civil War he joined up with the 34th Pennsylvania Volunteers, but only served three months in the army, later enlisting in the Navy. During the remainder of the war, he was detailed to serve with the blockade fleet in Mobile Bay and was one of the first to walk on the walls of Fort Sumter at the evacuation of Charleston. 

He is one of the six surviving members of the four hundred who banded together after the war and formed Wilde Post, No. 25, G. A. R. "We don't do much anymore," he said in discussing this organization, "because the best we can get out to a meeting is three or four and, anyway, the younger veterans are gradually taking up the duties that we started years ago." 

A quiet celebration will be staged at his home, 217 West Fifth street tonight. It is expected that two of his three living sons, Charles, of this city, and William, of Wilmington, Del., will be present. Another son, John is a resident of St. Petersburg, Fla. 
Want to search for your Family History? OneGreatFamily can help!


Post a Comment