Descendants of Anthony Chamness

Generation 1

Anthony Chamness-1 was born in 1665 in East Smithfield, London, England. He married Ann Pitts.

Child of Anthony Chamness and Ann Pitts is:

John Chamness, B: 1680 in London, Middlesex, England, D: 1740 in London, Middlesex, England.

Generation 2

John Chamness-2(Anthony-1) was born in 1680 in London, Middlesex, England. He died in 1740 in London, Middlesex, England. He married Ann Jones.She was born in 1685 in London, Middlesex, England. She died in 1740 in London, Middlesex, England.

Child of John Chamness and Ann Jones is:

Anthony Chamness, B: 05 Feb 1713 in East Smithfield, London, England.

Generation 3

Anthony Chamness-3(John-2, Anthony-1) was born on 05 Feb 1713 in East Smithfield, London, England. He married Sarah Cole.She was born on 01 May 1718 in Baltimore County, Maryland, USA. She died in 1773 in Cane Creek, North Carolina, USA.

Notes for Anthony Chamness:
Records and Chamness family history book on file at the Cane Creek Meeting, Snow Camp, NC:
Anthony and Sarah (Cole) Chamness were the founders of the Chamness family in America.

Anthony Chamness was born on February 17, 1713 to John and Ann (Weary)Chamness. His family lived in the area of Wapping, now part of London located just southeast of the Royal Mint along the Thames. His parents were married at St. John's Church of Wapping on January 4, 1704. Anthony was baptized at St. John's when he was 18 days old.
Four older siblings and four younger siblings were also baptized there. Anthony's birthplace is listed as East Smithfield, a road in that area. Birthplaces of his siblings include East
Smithfield, Wiltshire Lane, and Parrott Alley. The family name is spelled "Chamniss" in the church records. The name had earlier evolved from "Champneys" and "le Chaumpeneys".

Family legend states that Anthony was lured aboard a ship in London, kidnaped, and brought to the colonies. However researchers have found a record of indenture for Anthony. On February 9, 1725 he was indentured to John Cooke of London as a bond servant for 7
years. His home is listed as White Chapel in Middlesex County, which lies just east of Wapping. His destination was Maryland. The indenture lists his age as 15, but according to his birth date he was just turning 12.

Sarah Cole was born May 1, 1718, probably in Baltimore County, Maryland. She was the daughter of Joseph and Susanna Cole. Joseph died in 1720, leaving land to Sarah in Baltimore County. We do not know how long her mother lived afterward or whether she remarried.
Family legend states that Sarah was also an indentured servant, however her grandparents, John and Johanna (Garrett) Cole, owned many tracts of land in Baltimore County and probably helped care for her. The Cole and Garrett families go back several generations in Baltimore County.

In 1732 Anthony would have completed his indenture and become a free man. On November 24, 1735, Anthony and Sarah were married in St. Paul's Parish, Baltimore County, Maryland. Their first 3 children (Elizabeth, Susanna, and Joseph) were born in Baltimore County. On August 26, 1741 they were given a certificate of transfer from the Gunpowder Monthly Meeting in Baltimore County to the Monocacy Meeting located near what is now Buckeyestown in Frederick County, Maryland. So far, this is the first reference to the family found in Quaker records.

Anthony and Sarah lived in this area from 1742 to 1749 and their next 3 children (Sarah, Mary, and Martha) were born there. Their church, the Monocacy Preparatory Meeting, was initially part of the Hopewell (Virginia) Monthly Meeting. In 1744 the Fairfax (Virginia) Monthly Meeting was formed which included the members of Monocacy. The land
around the meeting was initially part of Prince George's County, Maryland, but in 1748 it became part of newly formed Frederick County.

The Chamness family left the Monocacy area in 1749 with a letter of transfer from Fairfax Monthly Meeting to Carver's Creek Monthly Meeting in North Carolina. They settled on Cane Creek in central North Carolina. This area was initially part of Anson County, but in
1751 it was included in newly formed Orange County. Anthony and Sarah's son John was born in "Orange County" on June 1, 1749, and they were among the initial overseers of Cane Creek Monthly Meeting when it was formed on October 7, 1751.

On June 24, 1751 Anthony received a Granville grant of 490 acres lying on Cane Creek. This land is located near the present Cane Creek Friends Meeting west of the village of Snow Camp. It was originally in Orange County, but became part of Chatham County and later Alamance County as these counties were formed.

Anthony and Sarah's next 6 children (John, Anthony, Rachel, Ann, Lydia, and Joshua) were born in Orange County between 1749 and 1761. Another child, Stephanus, was born about 1764. He is not listed in the Quaker records or in Anthony's will.

Susanna was the second oldest and first to marry in 1755 at age 17. Her sisters Sarah and Mary were married on the same day in 1759 at ages 17 and 16 respectively. Sixth oldest Martha married in 1762 at age 16. Finally Joseph, third child and oldest son married in 1763
at age 23. The oldest daughter, Elizabeth, signed Joseph's marriage certificate in 1763, but died sometime before 1776 when Anthony made out his will.

On August 31, 1764 Anthony and Sarah signed papers selling land in Baltimore County which had belonged to her father, Joseph Cole. Sarah died within the next year or two, leaving 6 children at home ages 4 to 16.

On September 1, 1766 Anthony was married to Rachel Haworth, widow of Stephanus Haworth. She brought five of her own children to the family: Charity, Sarah, Welmett, George, and Rachel. The two oldest, John Chamness and Charity Haworth soon found themselves married under conditions that caused the Quaker meeting to dismiss them. In 1769
Anthony Jr. was also dismissed over his marriage. That same year Joseph moved his young family out of the Cane Creek area to New Garden Monthly Meeting (North Carolina).

Rachel helped raise Anthony's remaining young children. She died on March 19, 1775 and was buried at Deep River Meeting. Anthony was remarried on May 9, 1776 to Margaret Williams, age 56, widow of William Williams. She brought several of her own children to the
family, including Rachel, age 23. Rachel and Joshua Chamness, age 15, soon married and were dismissed by the Quaker meeting.

Anthony died on September 20, 1777. His will is on file in the North Carolina Archives. It bears a reminder of the Revolution going on at the time of his death. It begins "I Anthony Chamness of Chatham County and province of North Carolina.." but the "province" has been crossed out and "State" has been written in above it.

Anthony and Sarah are buried in the cemetery at Cane Creek Meeting.
Copied From Chamness family history on file at Cane Creek MM:
Anthony Chamness indenture certificate:
"London the Ninth day of February One Thousand, Seven Hundred and 24
Memorandum, That Anthony Chamness of White Chapel in County of MIddlesex did by indenture bearing like date herewith, agree to serve John Cooke of London Vichular or his assigns seven years, in Maryland (his Majesty's Plantation in America) and did thereby declare himself to be of the age of fifteen years, a single person, and no covenant or contracted servant to any other person or persons. And the said master did thereby covenant at his own cost, to send his said servant to the said plantation; and at the like costs to find him all necessary clothes, meat, drink, washing, and lodging, as other servants in such cases are usually provided for, and allowed.
Jurat 9 Feb. 1724 Coran(?)
The Mark of Anthony Chamness (circle with dot in the middle)
"The name "Chamness" was first misspelled, and then corrected, which suggests some cooperation on Anthony's part, (or on his parent's part?). Anthony supposedly signed this with an unusual circular mark, but he was between 12 and 15 years of age, and this was probably the first time he had been asked to do such a thing. This mark is not exactly the same as his mark on his will, but the mark on his will is not a simple "x" either. The mark on his will may represent a capital "C." In any event he came to America, served his term, and became a free American, or at least was close to being one, as he died in 1777.
Putting the two stories together ina form that fit each other, we have it this wise: A ship bound for America, was lying at anchor in the pool, with its bow down stream. A man on board the vessel, interested, perhaps inincreasing its cargo and th econsequent profits of the voyage, stole away from the ship and found the boy loitering on the bridge. Entering into conversation with him, the man found the boy interested in the river and the ship and asked him to go with him on board and see the many interesting things on the inside. Not hinking of being carried away from home and kindred, the boy accepted the invitation and was soon on board the ship. The sails were already set for the voyage. The ship swung into the current, passed out through the river and the channel and was soon into the wide ocean. With a heavy heart the boy took a last look at his native land, which he was destined to never see again. The ship anchored in the port of Philadelphia. An now, what should be done with the boy?
Tradition says he was sold out until he should come of age to pay his passage. It is not improbable that some good Samaritan Quaker paid his passage, took him into his home and treated him as a member of his family until he was grown to manhood, and then aided him in a futile effort to find his people in London. In those days, kidnapping of children and bringing them to America was not treated as a crime, and members of the Society of Friends were not averse to helping such children by taking them into their families.
The voyage just related ocurred in 1726 or 1726 when the boy was about thirteen years old. He came of age in Feb., 1735. Born and partly reared in the city of London, and coming to America in pioneer days, the change was great, and willing or unwilling, he was obliged to endure much of the privations of pioneer life, which consisted larely in clearing away the forests and preparing the soil for cultivation. In those days, emigration was setting strongly southward along the Atlantic provinces. Anthony, the boy, by the time he was of age, or soon thereafter, had drifted into Baltimore Co., MD. Here he found a girl, in the person of Sarah Cole, daughter of Joseph and Susanna Cole. They were of kindred spirit and similar condition in life. She was bound out in a similar manner as he was. They loved each other as only such people can love. She was more than five years his junior, and could not get release to marry until she came of age. He set in and helped her work out her time.
Anthony and Sarah were married 11-24-1735 in Baltimore Co., MD. They had nothing at all with which to begin housekeeping. Sarah had found a borken wooden bowl in which she could mix her bread, and Anthony made her a wooden spoon. These two articles were their kitchen equipment. Their kitchen, parlor and bedroom were combined in one room, called a cabin. Outside of this room there were neither chicken, pig, nor cow that they could call their own, but they were very happy in each others love. O, you young Chamness of the 20th century! Would you marry if you had nothing but a broken bowl and a wooden spoon? No, such poverty would be a barrier to your marriage. Anthony and Sarah were young and strong and hardy, and already inured to the hardships of pioneer life. they lived and fared much as others of their generation did.
A tradition, general among their descendants says that Sarah was a relative of William Penn, probably on her mother's side, for we find no relationship existing between the Penns and the Coles. Their first three children were born in Baltimore Co., MD, the second three in Frederick Co., MD, and the last seven in Orange Co., NC. They moved from Baltimore into Frederick about the year 1741 and from Frederick to Orange about 1747 or 1748. It is probable that they never owned ahome until some time after they moved into the wilderness of North Carolina. Cane Creek meeting of Friends and its vicinity may properly be called the cradle of the Chamness family. The location of this church is near a county line, and the line has been changed, so it is not easy to determine which county it was in at different times. The farm was located in Chatham Co., approximately 1/2 mile west of Cane Creek Monthly Meeting. if there be any discrepancy in these statements it is owing to the fact that county lines have been changed, or that new county has been organized. It was here that they attended meeting; it was here that more than half of their children were born; it was here their children grew to manhood and womanhood, received their education, married and settled in other parts. It seems impossible to find any records reaching further back than those of Cane Creek Monthly Meeting, so we cannot discover where no when they became members of the church. They were members of the Society of Friends before Cane Creek Monthly Meeting was organized in 1751, for on the day of its organization he was made "overseer of Cane Creek particular meeting until further orders." As the office of overseer has always been an important one in the church, we understand at once that Anthony was a man of some education, of good standing and influence in the church. A transcript form the records of Cane Creek Monthly meeting, now in custody of the librarian at Guilford College, NC, gives the following:
Anthony Chamness, son of John and Ann Chamness, b. in London, on or about 2nd mo. 1713, d. 9-20-1777.
Sarah Cole, daughter of Joseph and Susanna Cole, of Baltimore Co., MD now married to Anthony Chamness, b 5-1-1718.
For many years in the early history of Cane Creek MM, the name of Anthony Chamness may frequently be found on committees. This shows that he was regarded as a man of integrity and good judgment and worthy to be entrusted with the work of the church. he was industrious and frugal, sociable,, and given to much hospitality. He and his sons worked hard, cleared out a large farm and put it in a good state of cultivation; and Sarah, the good wife and mother, taught her daughters to spin and weave and to many kinds of work now done only in factories.
The following is a description of the farm and home of Anthony and Sarah Cahmness as known by one near a century (now almost 2 centuries) ago: "The farm lay a mile west of Cane Creek Friends church, was a good body of land and lay fine. The dwelling was large, perhaps 20 X 80 feet, consisted of two main rooms, made of hewn oak logs, with two shed rooms with porch the whole length on the front side, with a division wall through the center. A small creek ran through the firm, on which there was a grist mill. Large meadows lay on either side of the stream. The barn was commodious, and was occupied by a stationary thrasing machine propelled by horse power, to which many of the neighbors hauled their wheat, to have it thrashed and cleaned."
This land is till beautiful today. Of course, the house is no longer standing, only a foundation, but you can feel the presence of these good people. It is really beautiful at Easter. There are old fashioned daffodils (butter 'n eggs) and hawthorne bushes in blom and huge cedar trees."

Children of Anthony Chamness and Sarah Cole are:

Joshua Chamness.

John Chamness, B: 06 Jan 1749 in Guilford County, North Carolina, USA, D: 1825 in Belleville, Illinois, USA.

Generation 4

John Chamness-4(Anthony-3, John-2, Anthony-1) was born on 06 Jan 1749 in Guilford County, North Carolina, USA. He died in 1825 in Belleville, Illinois, USA. He married Charity Haworth.She was born on 06 Jan 1749 in Hopewell, Virginia, USA. She died on 27 Jul 1811 in St Clair County, Illinois, USA.

Child of John Chamness and Charity Haworth is:

Jonathan Parish Chamness, B: 05 Dec 1806 in North Carolina, D: 08 Dec 1875 in Williamson, Illinois.

Generation 5

Jonathan Parish Chamness-5(John-4, Anthony-3, John-2, Anthony-1) was born on 05 Dec 1806 in North Carolina. He died on 08 Dec 1875 in Williamson, Illinois. He married Nancy Bright, daughter of Thomas Bright and Lucinda. She was born in 1810 in North Carolina. She died in 1880 in Illinois.

Child of Jonathan Parish Chamness and Nancy Bright is:

James Lemen Chamness, B: 27 Aug 1837 in Illinois, D: 05 Jan 1863, M: Louisa E. Robertson, 24 Jun 1856.

Generation 6

James Lemen Chamness-6(Jonathan Parish-5, John-4, Anthony-3, John-2, Anthony-1) was born on 27 Aug 1837 in Illinois. He died on 05 Jan 1863. He married Louisa E. Robertson on 24 Jun 1856, daughter of Joseph A. Robertson and Esther S. Perry. She was born on 09 Jun 1841 in Williamson, Illinois. She died on 08 Mar 1901.

Notes for James Lemen Chamness:
James L. Chamness
Regiment Name: 128 Illinois Infantry
Side: Union
Company: B
Soldier's Rank_In: Pvt.
Soldier's Rank_Out: Pvt.
Film Number: M539 roll 15

My grandfather has a record which states James Chamness was 1 of the approximately 700 that deserted the 128th Infantry Regiment. The 128th Regiment was assigned to 16th Army Corps, District of Columbus, Ky. November 1862 - April 1863. The 16th Army Corps was formed in Dec 1862 and left for Tennessee shortly after the 128th left Illinois for Tennessee in November 1862. These troops were stationed in the vicinity of Memphis, La Grange, and Corinth Tennessee until June, 1863.

An Account of the 128th Infantry Regiment:

Joseph A. Logan, US Congressman from Benton, Franklin County, IL
originally supported the southern states' rights to own slaves. But once
the talk turned to secession, Logan withdrew his support and openly and
violently opposed secession. He was instrumental in raising several
companies of Union soldiers in Franklin, Williamson, and St. Clair
Counties. Unfortunately, his former law partner, William Joshua Allen,
was a high mucky-muck in the KGC who was later arrested for
sedition. Because of this, some of Logan's initial recruits for the Union
army were viewed with open suspicion and scorn, and hounded and ridiculed
by violent diatribes in the papers and by armed and hostile
unionists. The 128th Illinois Infantry, in which three of my ancestors
enlisted, was formed immediately after one of Logan's recruiting speeches, and two of its officers were KGC members.

The 128th were sent up to Springfield, most of them with only the clothes
on their backs and only a few had rifles, expecting to be outfitted when
they were mustered in. During the march up to Camp Butler in Springfield,
they were constantly verbally abused by the citizens of the areas they
passed through, and by the newspapers of the day, who accused them of
being a "fifth column" (subversives) for the Confederates. When they got
to Springfield, whether by deliberate design, or innocent accident, there
were no barracks or other shelter for them, and no food, uniforms, shoes,
guns or ammunition. They were furloughed home until the situation could
be rectified, and forced to re-march through the same hostile
countryside. When they were finally called up to muster, more than 700 of
the 860 men refused, effectively becoming deserters. The decimated 128th
lasted for five months and fought in only one battle before it was
disbanded, and the officers cashiered for gross incompetency. The
deserters were rounded up by bounty hunters.

One of my ancestors, Archibald Odum, of Benton, IL was one of the
deserters, and was captured by a bounty hunter who was paid $6.00 for his
troubles. Arch, along with some of the other captured deserters and most
of the loyal former 128th members, was sent to the 9th Illinois infantry,
where he served with his brothers Thomas and Wiley. Arch was wounded when
mounting up for a patrol. While convalescing, he was on duty in the
kitchens. He was delivering dinner to the pickets, when they were all
captured by a rebel patrol. Arch was sent to Andersonville Prison, where
he was joined by his brother, Wiley who was captured in a separate
incident. Arch survived and was released at the end of the war, but he
was a skeleton, his gums black and his body covered with scars from
scurvy, and he suffered life-long from rheumatism and chronic
diarrhea. Brother Wiley died of starvation and scurvy and is buried in
the prison graveyard.

Child of James Lemen Chamness and Louisa E. Robertson is:

Johnathan Parish Chamness, B: 02 Nov 1857 in Williamson, Illinois, D: 20 Nov 1926 in Williamson, Illinois, M: Julia A. Conley, 30 Nov 1876 in Williamson, Illinois.

Generation 7

Johnathan Parish Chamness-7(James Lemen-6, Jonathan Parish-5, John-4, Anthony-3, John-2, Anthony-1) was born on 02 Nov 1857 in Williamson, Illinois. He died on 20 Nov 1926 in Williamson, Illinois. He married Julia A. Conley on 30 Nov 1876 in Williamson, Illinois, daughter of Hardy S. Conley and Matilda Jones. She was born on 24 Jan 1857. She died on 31 May 1939.

Children of Johnathan Parish Chamness and Julia A. Conley are:

Lula Chamness, B: 1879.

Walter Chamness, B: 1882.

Stella Chamness, B: 1885.

James Earl Chamness, B: 1887.

Marry Chamness, B: 1889.

Ruth Chamness, B: 1892.

Ethel Chamness, B: 1896.

Gurtrude Ann Chamness, B: 18 Oct 1877 in Spillertown, Illinois, D: 05 Aug 1973 in Marion, Illinois, M: Milton Holloway Simmons, 06 Dec 1904.

Generation 8

Gurtrude Ann Chamness-8(Johnathan Parish-7, James Lemen-6, Jonathan Parish-5, John-4, Anthony-3, John-2, Anthony-1) was born on 18 Oct 1877 in Spillertown, Illinois. She died on 05 Aug 1973 in Marion, Illinois. She married Milton Holloway Simmons on 06 Dec 1904, son of Scott Mansfield Simmons and Emmarillas Maxey. He was born on 14 Aug 1867 in Williamson, Illinois[1, 2]. He died on 05 Feb 1946 in Marion, Illinois.

Children of Gurtrude Ann Chamness and Milton Holloway Simmons are:

Samuel Simmons, B: 1902.

Theron Simmons Sr., B: 31 Oct 1905 in Williamson, Illinois[3], D: 26 Dec 1997 in Marion, Illinois[3], M: Lela Goley, 28 Feb 1929 in Benton, Illinois.

Ray Simmons, B: 1907.

Ruby Simmons.

Julia Simmons, B: 1912.

Mary Simmons, B: 1915.


Post a Comment